For the next assignment was all about casting silicone, I was just lucky enough to have already started playing around with some of the material at school before everything shut down. With this particular material I had to do it twice sadly both with very moderate success.
After 3D printing for the first time the casting mold, came the struggles with the stretch fabric. Every time I measure the distance and start to cut the material it comes apart due to the fragility of the material, so that might be mistake number one. The next step was to mix the parts silicone together and put in the vacuum chamber, this is when mistake number two came to play. I forgot to leave the silicone in the chamber for 5 mins when it hit 25g and took it right out, that resulted in these strange bubbles.
Not quite sure of that's the main reason of that strange bubble formation, maybe more silicone was needed.
For the second redo batch, instead of cutting out three sections in the stretch fabric I attempted with just two. This time I left the silicone in the vacuum for the appropriate time, but pouring the batch in the mold became the difficult portion. I left it to cure over night this time, there were less bubble formation but it was still there. The last mistake that I did was over inflating it until it popped.
In conclusion, the formation of bubbles might have formed from the pouring action. If I would repeat this again maybe it in the chamber longer than 5 mins and pour the mixture faster from even a further distance and not worry about all the spillage.
Upon visiting the material library there were alot of interesting textures that were either soft to the touch or provided elasticity.
Description: Decorative textiles that are manufactured by combining knitting and weaving techniques to create unique inlay designs and optical effects. Fabrics composed of 50% polyester and 50% PVC are produced by inserting flexible PVC