• Sohaila Mosbeh

Move it

Class 06- Mounting Motors

This assignment lined up perfectly for what i needed to do next in my pcom final, having already my components all purchased and laid out. It was time to figure out how it all comes together, my first entail thought was " this will be so easy I have everything it will take no time at all!" this of course was beyond wishful thinking and quickly proven to be very false.

Materials: Birch plywood and Rope.


- DC Motor - Motor driver

- Drill with drill bits - Wires

- Rope - Capacitor

- 12v Adapter - Motor bracket with screws

- Arduino - Mounting hub with 4-40 screws


Step one was to finish the constructing my form that will be rotating by the motor, the main construction is made out of birch wood which was laser cut to the specified measurement.

Second step was to figure how can as user activate the motor while still engaging with the piece. The solution was to create a touch switch which when the user holds on to the bottom ring they will automatically activate the top portion to spin. Researching sensors and switches lead me to the touch capacitor sensor, it's main function is to take human touch as an input that then sends an output that signals the motor to start moving. No human contact no motion.

It turns out not to be the greatest sensor in the world but it gets the job done, next step it mounting. Figuring out how to get all that attached to the top portion had so man difficulties, getting the mounting hub alone to attach on my piece was agony. Due to the fact that my top portion has a seam in the middle made things even harder to attach the hub directly to it, so out of desperation zip ties came to the rescue to the pcom play testing. It wasn't a pretty sight but it got the message across.

After losing alot of screws both literally and metaphorically the final step was to ask for help, because at this point I ran out of ideas on how to mount it.


Coding took 4 hours to finish from start to finish, figuring out how to mount the motor took almost a week to figure out. Moral if something looks easy it's probably because it's not. Most of my problems fell on screws finding the right set to fit my hub and securing everything together without it falling apart. It fell apart over 6 times, twice times with all the screws in. At that point I went out to buy new screws and screw driver along with a JB epoxy weld for extra strength, I can't imagine how two set screws can be stable enough for this piece that would be suspended from the ceiling. Of course after putting everything together I realized A) I could have mounted the motor on top that holds everything together B) I need to create a support system that will give balance to the top portion while it spins. Well if I ever go mad and decide to work with motors again, I now know what not to do.